_DSC0632_resize

The Fisherman’s Church

‘In the years between 1831 and 1839, Major General Peter Carey and his wife Julia used to bring their young family to Guernsey for the summer months most years.

Their youngest daughter Marianne, was very fond of Cobo and liked to celebrate her birthday in July by having a picnic there.

On one particular visit when they had walked from Havilland Hall, Marianne who was not as strong as the rest, felt very weary and went to lie down.

From there, she looked down on the houses of the fisher folk and felt great compassion for them as their nearest church was the parish church of the Castel, more than two miles distant, and she doubted if they ever went there.

The need for a church had been in her mind even from the age of five years, she was so sorry for those “poor people” having so far to walk, and she wanted to build a church for them at Cobo.

General Carey swallowed hard, said it was rather a tall order for someone so young, but she should come again when she was older.

At the age of 17 she again went to her father and this time he gave his permission.

Marianne began by selling a series o f £1 pictures which she had bought, framed and sold for 2 guineas.

Gradually, through persistence, the money came in and culminated in a total of £1600, which in those days was sufficient to build a good church with 300 seats.

The church was built in 1850 and to this day it is called the Fisherman’s Church.

 

facebooktwittergoogle_plus